Defending Your Retreat under WROL conditions:
If “WROL” (Without Rule Of Law) conditions exist, you will need to have plans and preparations in place that will enable you to defend your Bug Out Location. The best approach will utilize a combination of three tactics: Avoidance; Deterence, and Denial. Done effectively, these will avoid most problems and make any engagement a quick, one sided affair where you will have the advantage over the attackers.
Layer #1 General Area Selection:
Make sure you are not in the wrong place at the wrong time. A remote location and anonymity can provide more security than a gun can.
- Away from primary and secondary military targets.
- Away from major cities and highways. Preferably more than a full gas tank ride from any major city.
- Off of major routes for individuals evacuating nearest cities.
- Low population density (50 people per square mile maximum).
- Strong agricultural base.
- Diversified economy.
- Minimal economic dependency on federal funds.
- Minimal unionized heavy industry.
- Minimal welfare population.
- Population has good work ethic/religious and moral character. Despite the magnitude of the Fukushima catastrophe, the rule of law did not collapse. There was no looting. People helped each other. In large American cities, it only takes a black out or a relatively minor event (e.g. the Rodney King beating) for rule of law to collapse.
Layer #2 Specific BOL Site Selection:
Camouflage, concealment and cover.
- Far away from highways and main roads.
- Located in a remote area off of a single dirt road.
- Not visible from the road during any season.
- No visible power lines or telephones leading to it.
The outer perimeter. A well defined boundary.
- BOL located away from the road on terrain that is readily defensible.
- Single avenue of approach by vehicle to the BOL.
- A heavy duty locking gate on the driveway to restrict unauthorized access by vehicles.
- In an agricultural area, fence the property boundary with barbed wire fencing.
- Clearly post the property boundary fence with no trespassing signs.
The killing fields. An area that will force slow exposed movement under carefully aimed fire at the maximum effective distance of your weapons.
- Keep the area between the outer and the inner perimeter cleared and grazed down. The objective is to provide an excellent field of fire in all directions while severely limiting any cover for the attackers.
- Consider intentionally flooding any low lying areas within the kill zone to create a water trap to stop any vehicles and slow down any attackers.
- Fence along both sides of the driveway to contain attackers there as they attempt to cross over the kill zone.
- A vehicle resistant gate at the midpoint of the driveway. They will have to defeat this under fire or dismount and cross the remainder of the driveway on foot and under fire.
The inner perimeter. No easy way in.
Drainage ditches and or boulders positioned around the inner perimeter to stop any vehicle before it can reach the inner fence.
- A strong “hog tight, goat high” inner perimeter fence topped with barbed wire and a high, sturdy gate around home and any key outbuildings.
- The gate is the weakest point on this layer. Be prepared to stake out a razor wire barrier in front of the gate to prevent anyone from “just hopping over the gate”.
- A hedge of thorny natural barrier plants such as: Hawthorne; Pyracantha; etc. around the inside of the inner perimeter fence. This both conceals most of what might be desirable from the attacker while creating a barrier which is slow and difficult to breach. This hedge may also prematurely detonate any RPG rounds aimed at the home.
- A hedge row should be place just inside the gate so that someone at the gate cannot see into the compound.
The dog run. Your presence will not go without notice.
- Large guard dogs kept within the fenced area between the house and the inner perimeter fence.
- Insulated dog houses for guard dogs so that they can safely be kept outside during the winter.
- Feed the dogs their largest meal in the morning instead of the evening, in order to help keep them awake at night.
- Geese and ducks also make excellent guard animals.
The safe house. Please let yourself in. We are loading.
- Plant low, wide torn hedges in front of all of the windows on your home.
- Cover the windows with security film
- Install window locks.
- Install steel doors in steel frames.
- Install high security locks with deadbolts on all exterior doors.
- Install outward facing floodlights with motion sensor switches around the perimeter
- Low maintenance, fire resistant material with small arms ballistic resistance used for exterior of home (brick, stucco, etc.) where feasible.
- Low maintenance, fire resistant steel standing seam roof.
- Heavy duty lockable storm shutters should be fitted to outside windows and doors.
Erect outside flood lighting to illuminate the area outside the fence, but not to interfere with the vision of those within the house
- Install sensors on driveway to alert you of any approaching vehicle(s).
- Install seismic intrusion sensors around the inside of the property perimeter fence.
- Install security cameras at key points.
- Install a home security system.
- Keep means for fabricating remotely detonated claymore mines. Once WROL conditions exist, fabricate the mines. Place wire detonated home-made claymore like devices external to the fence in areas where attackers are likely to take cover as soon as they come under direct fire. Once under attack, “herd” the attackers to take cover at these points. Then, remotely detonate the claymore.
- Keep trip wire and pieces of sharpened rebar on hand. With the onset of the crisis, lay down tanglefoot and pungi sticks in the kill zone to prevent attackers from rushing across.
The Anvil Force
- Train all adult members of the family with weapons.
- Keep main defensive weapons loaded and within immediate arms reach of adult occupants.
- Store weapons next to the bed at night.
- Lights thrown on inside a home under attack will draw fire. Do not turn on the lights when you hear an intrusion.
- Install a decoy light switch next to the bed that will turn on the light in an area that is not occupied! If the decoy light draws fire, note where the fire is coming from and prepare to return fire against that position(s).
- Set up a designated safe room within the house that could be defended if the attackers breach your home. Under high threat conditions, have family sleep in the safe room
- Link to the OPLP, Hammer Force and neighbors by two way radio system (and or flares) to call for support from the protection of your safe room.
- Check in with neighbors at a given time in the morning and evening as a means of monitoring each others status.
- Keep excellent relationships with your neighbors. These people may warn you of problems before they occur.
“The Hammer” Force
- After the onset of the crisis, always keep a “hammer element” of armed personnel hidden and mobile outside the perimeter after the onset of the crisis. This provides early warning of an attack and allows you to hit the attackers from behind.
- The hammer team that is going on duty should take up position outside of the wire before the team coming off duty returns.
- Ghillie suits, suppressed weapons, night vision thermal image scopes and two way radio communication gear in the hands of the hammer element allows them fire, maneuver and communicate from behind the attackers without giving away their position. This creates a significant force multiplier.
- If the attackers are kept focused on the anvil element while being engaged from behind by the hammer element, the results are devastating.
- The hammer element should specifically target leadership assets, communication assets, vehicles and any heavy weapons in the attacker’s party for termination in the early phase of the attack in order to quickly degrade the attacker’s combat effectiveness.
- Next, the hammer element should begin to severely wound but not kill a few attackers at points where the attackers are clustered. (Shooting a man in the hip typically incapacitate and immobilize him but will not be instantly fatal.) His screaming for help will demoralize the attackers and if the attackers are not highly disciplined will draw other attackers to his aid forming a target cluster around him. When this occurs, the individuals in the target cluster can be fired upon and eliminated. Care should be taken to eliminate anyone that appears to be delivering effective medical aid first.
- Where possible, the hammer element should incapacitate, not kill one or more of the attackers for subsequent interrogation or tracking of the attackers back to their base.
- Determine the size, composition and strength of the attack force.
- Track the surviving attackers back to their base camp. Ambush and exterminate the attackers and everyone at their camp before they can mount a follow up attack.
- Carefully consider the importance of psychological warfare at this juncture. The manner in which the attackers and their supporters are eliminated can provide a powerful psychological deterrent to others who might consider attacking you. This could make them choose to bypass you for softer targets.
Do not fight to the death against an overwhelming force given the option of escape. Create an escape plan and caches so that if confronted by an overwhelming force you can escape, evade and live to continue to fight, ultimately denying the attackers any lasting victory.